Thursday, October 26, 2006

equalizing love: gay marriage debate

Once again, gay marriage rights are in the news. A group of supporters gathered outside of the New Jersey Supreme Court awaiting a decision on same-sex marriage. New Jersey is now considering whether or not to call this 'newly constructed relationship,' which has all the rights and obligations of a marriage-a marriage.
If 'all men are created equal' then why the debate of this topic? Love is Love! That's how I feel. Articles like the one I read in the New York Times outrage me. My life is affected by the decisions of the court. My view on this is simple. You can't help who you fall in love with. Whether it be a man or woman, it shouldn't matter. My relationship is very much like a marriage; We take care of each other, love one another, fight with each other, support each other, just like every other relationship. Why should same-sex couples be denied the rights like insurance benefits of their partners or simply being able to say they are married. I wear a ring on my left hand and when people ask, I tell them I am married. However, I have no benefits by saying this.
I understand I am standing on my soapbox with this, but it really bothers me. I could go on and on but I will won't. I just wish this debate would be over and done with. Give everybody the same rights and there won't be any problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home