Monday, November 20, 2006

Mumbo Jumbo headline

I know I already commented on the November 13 Sunflower, but I really think this headline is confusing. "Concealed carry faces restriction," is a story found on the front page. What does that headline mean? It isn't even vaguely grammatically correct.

After reading the article, the headline makes sense, but I don't think that it is the kind of headline that would attract readers. I imagine most eyes skimmed over it, made no sense of it, and moved on. Only people who are familiar with criminal justice terminology would have understood it, but even if everyone got it except me, I still think the headline could have been much better.

The lead of the article is its possible saving grace, "Thinking of bringing a concealed firearm to school? Think again." The sentence is able to explain the headline in two short sentences. However, when I first read over this edition of the newspaper, I didn't even bother to read that much, and I think a lot of people probably did the same thing I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home