Saturday, November 04, 2006

"Unclear" headline

A headline on the front page of the October 25 Sunflower caught my attention. After reading "Police unclear about Fairmount burglary," I decided what was really unclear was the headline, not the police. This short article addresses a break-in to a maintenance building in Fairmount Towers. Although police don't have many details about the crime, I thought the headline made the police sound as though they were either trying to conceal what had happened, or that they didn't know what they were doing. The story itself didn't reveal any evidence of that, in my opinion.

I think it would have been fairly easy to come up with a different headline for this story, and I suppose the most likely explanation for it is that the copywriters were in a hurry. However, I still think the story could have had a much more appropriate headline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home